Passionate about the environment and willing to advocate and perhaps do some physical work? Excited about meeting cargo ship workers from around the world and offering them hospitality? Imagining that “Church” can happen in new and different ways? Do you have a heart for the homeless or those who are abused? Hear what’s going on already and what could be going on if you join us! An new exciting service site has joined us this year at the Cathedral of the Incarnation. Contact the Director email@example.com. See our website http://escmaryland.org and click on “partnership in service” to find out more about worksites.
Our seventh class began in August 2017. Some basics about our program:
- Gileads work as full-time volunteers (35 hours a week) in our partner site nonprofit agencies.
- They work at least 40 hours a week in the program including
- one afternoon a week with the Reflections Team
- weekly house community meetings
- once a month with a spiritual mentor
- 3 four day retreats during the course of the year
- personal stipend $200/month, housing, food stipend in a common pool, great health insurance if needed, transportation stipend
- cars are allowed, though transportation stipend =cost of monthly transit pass in Baltimore City
- transition grant at the end of the full year of service
What do alumni do? About one third of the Gileads stay or return to Baltimore- continuing their lives in the wider community, as well as connecting to current Gileads. As of Spring 2017, over one third of alumni have received either advanced certification in their fields or have received professional degrees. They teach (ESL in Indonesia and Russia, special need high school students and elementary school children in Baltimore and in New Orleans,) they go to graduate school (Seminary, Law School, Medical School, Social Work,) they work with youth and young adults (Diocese of Maryland, Diocese of California, Baltimore) they work with refugees in Beirut with the Mennonites, they continue work with non-profits, they develop their own businesses, etc etc. And they support our ESCMaryland program as board members, interview team, resource and service site support, and as friends in the neighborhood to current corps members.
From Gwen, Gilead 2013-2014: Reasons to come to Baltimore for a year of service
Check out current interns blogging at http://www.escmaryland.org/category/2017-2018/
Find us on Facebook at Episcopal Service Corps Maryland